24 July 2012
It seems that I missed last week's food day Tuesday post, so I will owe you an extra one sometime later in the next week or so! ;) Even though we are not on a boat at the present moment, I went through some food pictures and dug up one of our favorites to share for today.
I'm sure everyone knows how much I LOVE cooking with spices (especially my two favorites, Turmeric and Ginger), and if you like spices as much as I do then you will love this dish.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of fresh crushed grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cooked (or canned) chickpeas
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Sprinkle salt over chicken and brown in a large sauce pan over medium heat until almost cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in the same pan.
- Once veggies are tender stir in ginger, and all of the spices. Fry for about a minute, and then mix in the broth and tomatoes.
- Return chicken to pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and zucchini to pan and bring to a simmer again. Cover pan with a well-fitted lid and cook for another 15 minutes, until zucchini is tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, and enjoy!