Clean as a Whistle

27 November 2014



Anyone that has cruised on the Eastern ICW has dealt with the "Sound Brown", "The Mustache".  Fancy books say that the stain is from the acid of decomposing organic material in the water.  Boat stores sell lots of products that claim to remove the stain without damaging the hull. A friend suggested using a common product found at your neighborhood hardware store.

I gathered up a plastic storage tote, the deck brush, garden hose, a small bottle of Joy dish soap, and a bottle of Sno Bol Liquid Toilet Bowl Cleaner. 

It was as easy as filling the tote about half way with water, then pouring in the Joy and Sno Bol. Mix it with the deck brush. Starting at the bow, I scrubbed from fore to aft. By the time I scrubbed my way back to the transom, the mixture had accomplished it's magic. Using the hose, the brown soapy bubbles washed away leaving a beautiful white.

*Caution* If the boat is on the hill it will discolor the bottom paint if you are not quick enough in washing off the hull.

Thanks Alex and Seng for the tip!

Thanks for Visiting,
Gary



Stick em up, Punk

19 November 2014


Two of the Autumn projects had to do with the mast. The Radar was originally mounted in the most inconvient of places. Whoever mounted the bracket way back when, mounted it directly shadowed by the spreaders. So basiclly I had a blind side. Not completely blind, but more of a blue on black kind of blind.


The other mast project was rewiring the entire stick. In sailing terms the stick is the mast. Most of the original factory wires were still in the mast. Through out the years since other wires and cables have been added. Unfortunetly the newer wires bangled in the large void of the inside of the mast. As the boat would roll the wires would ever so firmly tap the innards of the mast.
Clang....

Clang....

Clang....    For over two years I dealt with it.


The time came to stop the madness. Up on the hill I scheduled for the crane to be at the boat as soon as day broke.  On appointment the rig came around the corner. The yard hands assisted, and we quickly removed the mast.


Placing the mast along side the boat on sawhorses, all the wires and cables were removed. 12 volt LED lights, VHF Radio, Radar, Network, Wind indicator, and the Hailer are the wires I'm writing about. All of the 12v wire was replaced with new wire. Also the VHF cable was replaced with new cable. The rewiring was elementary. Measure, cut, crimp, and solder. Before lifting the stick back up, all the 12v wires and LED (lights) were tested. Pulling the truck over to the end of the mast base, I used jumper cables to test each one seperately. 


The yellow hydraulic beast was scheduled again for the next day.  As easy as it was removed, and with help from the yard, it went back into its original place without a hitch. 

Actually two hitches were involved. A tail was tied to the mast using two half hitches. The tail helped to manuver it vertically. The mast went through the mast collar/partners and later secured with the Spartite system. 


With the rigging and turnbuckles made fast, adjustments took up the better part of the rest of the morning until lunch. Later that night I tried out the new LED spreader lights. Holy Cow Brightness! All that was needed was a Disco ball and ABBA.

Look for the next post " Fun with the FCC".

Gary

Summer 2014 Highlights

15 November 2014

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. The same goes with blogs. I left off in Wilmington, NC, and wow has it been an event filled summer. Here's the recap in seven photographs or less.





In June the lines were untied from Deep Point Marina in Southport, NC. After sailing all day an anchorage was found in Georgetown, SC. The next day was my finest hour. Sailing in to Charleston tied my two sailing areas together. Marrying trips from Boston to Key West. Charleston has always been one of my favorite cities. 



After spending a month in Charleston, I flipped a coin to see if I was going to be sailing North or South. Heads won! So I sailed to Annapolis, Maryland. While there I took two diesel classes, took my 100 Ton Master tests, a sailing endorsement, and a towing endorsement for my Captains License.






















Rounding up the summer I decided to haul out the boat and take care of a few minor annoyances. Between boat projects and work my last two months have been hectic. A big adventure is weeks away.

Gary